Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Andre Leon Talley on being black, gay and a fashion icon; why he likes living in White Plains

A new documentary paints a sobering, but inspirational and often hilarious portrait of a larger-than-life figure in the fashion world.

Andre Leon Talley, the longtime fashion editor at Vogue magazine — and a longtime White Plains resident — is the subject of "The Gospel According to Andre."

It follows his early life growing up an outcast in North Carolina because of his race and sexuality and then being accepted and exaulted for his creativity and outrageousness in the New York City fashion world. And his propensity for wearing capes.

The documentary, directed and produced by Kate Novak, includes many scenes shot in Westchester, including one in which viewers get a glimpse of his White Plains house in a scene where workers cut down a tree.

With his distinctive voice and streaks of white in his hair, the 6-foot-6 Talley is recognizable enough in the fashion world and beyond to play himself on the big screen in “Sex in the City,” and secure enough to wear full-length fur into his 60s.

Talley left  Vogue in 2013 and has made White Plains his home since 1999.

MORE CELEBS: Liev Schreiber, Jessica Biel filming locally

SERENDIPITY: Bona Bona ice cream emporium coming to Port Chester

MICHAEL KORDA: Legendary book editor lives in Millbrook

He spoke with the Journal News/lohud.com in 2015 as he was about to launch his book, “Oscar de la Renta: His Legendary World of Style,” (Skira Rizzoli)

 Here's the legendary fashion expert in his own words:

White Plains vs. Manhattan:

"I moved out of Manhattan because of the white noise.  There’s the sirens going off at 5 a.m. in the morning and garbage trucks at 6 a.m. and there’s so much energy in the city.  I love White Plains for its quietness, elegance and warmth.  I think it’s a very family-friendly place and I’m very glad I selected to live in White Plains.  I come home at night I turn the key and it’s quiet."

Local faves:

"I love City Limits. I go to City Limits almost every day; Peter the executive chef (owner) is almost like family.  Also, Rosedale Nurseries in Hawthorne.  I go there often and sit for hours, watching people buy plants. I also depend on them for supplying me with the best advice on my green garden."

On life after Vogue:

"It hasn’t changed. I’m the host of Vogue podcasts so I frequently l go down to Vogue [offices] at One Trade Center.  I’m also doing the exhibit of Oscar de la Renta at the de Young in San Francisco.  The retrospective of Oscar opens next March. I'm really busy - it's pretty much a busy world."

Shopping:

"Be careful with your money and buy what you must have and it must be within your budget.  Shop wisely and shop conservatively."

Let's block ads! (Why?)

https://www.lohud.com/story/entertainment/people/suburbarazzi/2018/05/29/andre-leon-talley-new-documentary-life-fashion-icon/643939002/

No comments:

Post a Comment