Pages

Friday, March 8, 2019

Using the fashion runway to raise suicide awareness - NTV

Somber models in dark, patchwork clothing walked the Omaha Fashion Week runway, representing a topic the Kansas city designer said we should be talking about.

"I have lost people in my community because of suicide," said designer Roger Figueroa.

He dedicated his collection to suicide prevention, something he said he has a personal connection to.

"I was bullied when I was in high school, I went through many other struggles like loosing my dad around the same time that I was bullied," said Figueroa.

Figueroa said he thought of suicide but decided to live.

"I can say that today I turned 10 years again because if it would have not been for that day, that moment that saved my life again, I would not be here today," said Figueroa.

Not everyone has his same experience. Figueroa said he has lost people of all ages in his community from suicide.

"I have seen preteens, I have seen people in high school and also adults that struggle with this," said Figueroa.

He hopes to see more people overcome suicide, like he did and that's what he said his clothing line represents.

"The detail on the sleeve that had an opening," said Figueroa. "So kind of like if you were to peel it off, and that kind of just represents a peeling off of who you were yesterday to be a fresh new person the next day.

This inspiration, he said, coming from nature.

"If you see an old tree and how they start like cracking and then if you peel those you just see a brand new tree right under that so I think that's how I see life," said Figueroa. "I think once you peel that bad stage, bad moments in your life you will be a new person the next day or whatever it is to be, a week or month because it does take process to get out of that stage but you will be a new person one day."

If you or someone you know is in need of help, please call the suicide helpline at 1–800–273–TALK or 1–800–273–8255.

To follow this story and all of Jessica Stevenson's Omaha Fashion Week coverage, find her on Facebook, twitter and Instagram.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

http://nebraska.tv/features/good-morning-nebraska/using-the-fashion-runway-to-raise-suicide-awareness

No comments:

Post a Comment