Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2019

Gemma Ward Wishes Fast Fashion Was Less Prevalent - The Wall Street Journal

Gemma Ward wears a Valentino coat, price upon request, similar styles at Valentino boutiques, Lemaire blazer, $920, lemaire.fr, The Row pants, $790, The Row, 17 East 71st Street, New York. Photo: Campbell Addy for WSJ. Magazine, Styling by Clare Richardson

This is part of a series of interviews with the four models featured in our May issue fashion portfolio. See the shoot here, and read interviews with Karen Elson, Alek Wek and Amber Valletta.

Age: 31

When did you start modeling? What was your first job? I started modeling when I was 15, and my first job was for Rusty Swimwear in Australia.

What would have made modeling easier 10-15 years ago? People have always talked about having a union for models, and I think something like that would really help: guidelines put in place for working hours and a safe workplace environment.

What do you wish never changed? There’s a lot more fast fashion now. It would be nice if it slowed down for both the designers and the environment.

What’s your best fashion investment? I have a small black leather purse by Phillip Lim that I use all the time, it’s just the right size for everything. I have a nice leather coat from Marni which is really timeless.

Best financial investment? I’ve had some bad luck with investments, but property has been good for me.

How do you manage your time? I have my two kids which means that I’m pretty much booked all the time with their care, so I keep a really tight schedule. Life with kids is a lot easier when everything’s on a very well-oiled machine. It’s about making sure that you have back-up people in place and having everything organized in your appointment book.

Did you ever have a mentor or a mentee? My friend Elissa Down, who’s the director of The Black Balloon [a 2008 film co-starring Ward], has always been a really great mentor. She’s been around since before I started modeling. We have great talks about career and artistic endeavors.

What technology can’t you live without? I guess my phone. Everyone’s addicted to their phones. I’m not a super gadget-y person. I know people who have Alexa and everything kind of talks to you, they have a talking navigation in their cars and watch and everything. I try to keep it pretty simple. I do love Bose’s wireless speakers.

What do you wear to the airport? I always wear something baggy and comfortable because I’m always sleeping on planes. I’m not somebody who’s lucky enough to only be going on short haul flights. So I’m definitely wearing the baggiest pants I can find. Sometimes I can get away with leggings.

Who’s your style idol? My style is always changing. I used to be really into mod ’60s fashion. I do get inspired by people I see on the street or characters in movies. It’s usually when somebody’s really inhabiting themselves and owning what they’re wearing. I also like when people wear suits on the red carpet. Cate Blanchett is somebody who wears really great suits and random looks that look amazing on her.

What philanthropy is important to you? I worked for a charity called The Hunger Project for a number of years. They work all in impoverished places over the world to end hunger and bring clean water to villages. I’m also starting to become more aware of environmental causes and activists—that’s something I would like to become more involved with.

Is there a CEO you really admire? Natalie Massenet, who started Net-a-Porter [now co-chairman at Farfetch], has a really inspiring presence. She’s a formidable talent.

What’s the best advice you’ve ever gotten? To listen to your gut instinct and not to be afraid of having your voice heard.

Favorite recent book or movie? I was loving the books by [Liane Moriarty,] who wrote Big Little Lies. I haven’t really been watching a lot of movies, but I loved Aquaman. There are a lot more great TV shows now, it’s kind of hard to peel yourself away from. At the moment I’ve been watching Imposters. I really like that show.

What’s your favorite career highlight? Being in the Calvin Klein fragrance ad was definitely a big highlight for me.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gemma-ward-wishes-fast-fashion-was-less-prevalent-11556972174

No comments:

Post a Comment